Located in Mendota Heights, Resurrection Cemetery is a peaceful landscape of natural beauty filled with history, family memories and wildlife.
Founded in 1940, it is the largest cemetery in the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, encompassing nearly 350 acres of beautiful wooded property including the 37-acre Lake Augusta. About 150 acres have been developed for current cemetery use. During its 70-year history, more than 43,000 burials have taken place at Resurrection, an average of approximately 700 burials per year. Burial options at Resurrection include monument and non-monument graves, single depth lawn crypts, estate lots, private family mausoleums and sarcophaguses plus a variety of cremation burial options.
In addition, Resurrection is home to two mausoleums — a 1,000-crypt facility built in 1980 and a Chapel Mausoleum, which opened in 2002. The Chapel Mausoleum is located on a scenic knoll overlooking the southernmost portion of the cemetery and offers 1,100 crypts and more than 900 cremation niches. The interior is a chapel environment conducive to prayer, reflection and liturgical events such as committal services, mass and other communal prayer services.
Just beyond the cemetery entrance, on the shore of Lake Augusta, is the Children’s Memorial and Healing Garden. Dedicated in 2000, the memorial is open to people of all faith backgrounds and serves as a place of prayer, remembrance and healing for parents and families who have suffered the loss of a pregnancy or death of an infant or child. The names of children who have died may be etched on the beautiful granite memorial wall, offering families the opportunity for permanent remembrance.
Historically important in the Archdiocese’s history, Resurrection is home to several sections of graves of priests, bishops and members of many of the area’s religious communities.
Each Memorial Day, Resurrection’s Memorial Day Mass attracts hundreds of people for a morning outdoor Mass, followed by refreshments.
To learn more about Resurrection, please call the office at 651-454-5072.